If you love shopping on High Street, now might be the time to get some bargains. Yesterday, a collection of retailers announced that they will be closing their stores and cutting jobs. Here are a few of those heading for the cutting block:
* Thornton’s said that it’s closing 120 of its poorly performing chocolate stores.
* Carpetright will shut 75 floor covering store outlets.
* TJ Hughes plans to place 4000 jobs in limbo as it evaluates what to do with its 57 stores.
* Jane Norman announced that 33 stores will be shutting soon, making 400 people jobless.
* Homeform said it will appoint an administrator, putting 1300 jobs in question.
* Kesa is considering selling its electrical retailer after having losses of £8.9million.
All of these examples show a loss of consumer confidence that retailers are facing across the country.
Certainly, all of this is sending out a red light across England, and giving people who are watching their purse strings even more reason to worry.